Even on slow news weeks like this one, there’s usually something interesting in the world of enterprise mobile news that comes our way and we’d like to share it with you ICYMI.
- Speech Recognition Is Not Solved: We’ve come a long way in speech recognition, but claims of human-level accuracy are overstated by using a really old measure of success. Great article detailing where we really stand. For more on language processing and neural networks, including tackling the “cocktail party problem,” check out this episode of Device Squad with John Hershey, MERL Sr. Principal Research Scientist.
- Docker gets pragmatic, embraces Kubernetes. Once (and perhaps still) the clear leader in containerization, Docker sorta capitulates to Kubernetes–already the favorite son at Google–as the default container orchestration framework, putting it on par with their own Docker Swarm product. Good analysis as usual from Redmonk’s James Governor. In related news, Microsoft Azure jumped on the Kubernetes platform so hard, they changed the acronym for their Azure Container Services to AKS to embrace Kubernetes.
- Target adds AR shopping to its mobile website. Another sign of the mainstreaming of augmented reality. And if you want to learn a little more about the state of AR, listen to Steve, Spurti and me on the latest episode of the Device Squad podcast.
- GE goes with Apple: Not the Transformation you were looking for, Satya? GE and its 330,000 employees are standardizing on iPhones, iPads and increasingly Macs. The iPad Pro and the specific improvements to the iPad experience that iOS 11 brings may have been a big factor.
- Pixel Visual Core: image processing and machine learning on Pixel 2. Google takes a page out of the Apple playbook by highlighting the value of tightly integrated hardware and software–and the role of custom silicon–in using on-device machine learning to make major strides in what’s capable on a smartphone, in this case better image processing on their new Pixel 2 phones.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously.
|cookielawinfo-checbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|
Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features.
Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.
Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads.
Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet.