You stare across the desk at the hiring manager. You’re poised, confident, ready for anything. You nailed the handshake, you’re making great eye contact, nothing can stop you. You’ve earned this job. It’s yours.
The interviewer leans in close and whispers, “Why is a tennis ball fuzzy?”
As ridiculous as it sounds, this scenario actually happens during job interviews across the country. In what must be the result of stir-crazy HR departments, the typical interview question is getting weirder — especially in the tech sector.
After collecting tens of thousands of interview questions from job applicants throughout the year, Glassdoor has released its annual list of the strangest questions from around the hiring world. Below, we’ve listed the 13 that we found to be, well, the strangest.
1. “Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?” – Dell
2. “What is your least favorite thing about humanity?” –ZocDoc
3. “If you could throw a parade of any caliber through the Zappos office, what type of parade would it be?” – Zappos
4. “How many square feet of pizza are eaten in the U.S. each year?” – Goldman Sachs
5. “It’s Thursday; we’re staffing you on a telecommunications project in Calgary, Canada, on Monday. Your flight and hotel are booked; your visa is ready. What are the top five things you do before you leave?” – ThoughtWorks