Need to get to your applications or environments from any time, place or device? There are many available Application Delivery tools in the virtualization world. This can cause confusion amongst those who are not experts in this field.
…working at any place,
at any time, from any device…
Here is a brief rundown on some of the best tools that exist today.
Enables secure, remote access to Windows applications and server desktops from any device, any cloud, over any network. XenApp is able to integrate with Azure, AWS, CloudPlatform or any hypervisor. Best use cases include:
- Need maximum IT control and lowest cost (single image management).
- Empower employee productivity by working anywhere in a “containerized” infrastructure.
- Decrease risk of data loss while securing corporate access, and having granular policies
Microsoft Remote Desktop (RD) Session Hosts
Hosts Windows-based programs and simultaneously allows multiple end-users to run programs, save files, and use network resources through a connection with the server. RD Session Hosts integrates with both Citrix and VMWare. This tools is best used when you are required to:
- Provide greater security
- Manage frequent upgrades and multiple versions in environments
- Deliver applications without virtualization
Liquidware Labs FlexApp Layering with Profile Unity
FlexApp Application Layering is an advanced feature within the ProfileUnity User Environment Management platform. FlexApp enables Administrators to assign department-level applications to groups of users, and to, optionally, empower selected users to install their own applications. FlexApp complements application virtualization solutions that use isolation, such as Microsoft App-V and VMware ThinApp. This option also works well with Citrix and VMWare. Consider this option when you need to:
- Minimize costs across multiple platforms
- Eliminate need to make “local admins” in order to run or install applications
- Secure and containerized apps
Microsoft Azure Remote App
Microsoft Azure RemoteApp uses the Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol to deliver applications, which appear as if they are native to the end user’s computing device. It also works with two tools previously mentioned, Citrix XenApp and Microsoft Remote Desktop Session Hosts. This path could be a viable option when you want to:
- Enable users to access corporate applications and be productive while using any device, without risking combining personal and corporate data.
- Scale up and down without worrying about expensive pieces of physical infrastructure.
- Utilize the familiar Microsoft Office 365 experience on any device.
There are other tools to choose from as well, but as you can see, each tool provides a specific advantage and purpose depending on your situation. You may need a combination of them and other technologies as all of these tools have their limitations as well. So before choosing, take some time to determine your use cases and specific requirements and you’ll be well on your way to working from any place, at any time, from any device. That’s secure, agile infrastructure.
Anexinet is a technology firm that delivers strategy, digital, and technology solutions by leveraging the best combination of cloud, products, and services.
Ray Otero, Infrastructure Solutions, Ray’s LinkedIn Profile, [email protected]
Angie Hoagland, Infrastructure Solutions, Angie’s LinkedIn Profile, [email protected]